Stand With Haiti

Thursday, September 6, 2007

It goes by so fast!


I'm amazed that it's been seven months already since Christina made her debut into the world. I try so hard to remember all of the little details about her as a newborn, but already the memories seem to have faded. Maybe I was just so frantic and stressed out during those first few months that the memories didn't even form - I was in a daze of new-mommy'hood. The few things that I do remember never seem to get written down. I'm afraid that one day Christina will ask me what she was like as a baby, and I'll have no recollection at all! So here are some of the things I don't want to forget:

I was so nervous taking Christina out of the hospital to go home. We left the hospital around 8:00 PM, and it was a cold night, being that it was January 20th. I was so afraid that the cold air would somehow harm her tiny body. I bundled her up and held her very close.

When Sean was driving us home from the hospital, he was so cautious and nervous. And we had our seats positioned just about as far forward as they would go, so we wouldn't risk bumping into the car seat in the back. Even though Christina had cried when we first put her in the car, she fell asleep once we got moving. It was such a big moment for me, because I knew that once we got home we would actually be parents - no help from the nursing staff - just us!

I slept on the couch in the living room with Christina until she was about four months old. From that first night when we brought her home, she decided she wanted nothing to do with her crib - she wanted to be in Mama's arms. And she was so sensitive, especially during the first two months. I would walk around the apartment or sit in the rocking chair with her in my arms until she fell asleep. Then I would ever-so-slowly try to move over to the couch and lay down with her tucked into the crook of my arm. Half of the time she'd wake right back up and start crying again, so I'd start all over. I think it kept her calm to feel my breath on her face - I know that sounds odd, but if I moved my face away from hers, her eyes would pop right open.

Well, Sean just got home from work, and the baby will probably be waking up pretty soon, so that's all I'll write about for now. I'll try to add more later as it comes to mind - there are so many things about her newborn days that I don't want to forget!

No comments: